Microsoft once again is ranked the highest in its ability to execute by Gartner in its magic quadrant for Business Intelligence. The report is pretty long and boring, but if I were distill it down to a few salient points, I would choose the following:
- Companies see a dramatic improvement in BI capabilities going from SQL Server 2008 R2 to SQL Server 2012
- Microsoft got a node for some of the upcoming stuff including Explorer, GeoFlow and PolyBase
- Gartner mentioned “shortening product update cycles” for Microsoft SQL, Office and Sharepoint
- “it is widely deployed in large enterprises as a standard with among the highest data volumes and user counts”
- Microsoft is dinged on basically two fronts, mobility and CPM.